CLICK FOR TODAY'S CARTOONS

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Religion of Peace?

One of the things I like to do occasionally is to visit some political forums on the internet to see what people, other than those who are journalists or bloggers, are saying. Whenever I do, I am often amazed at the number of people who have greatly distorted ideas about the Muslim religion and about Muslim terrorism around the world. In my view, 1. Muslim terrorism is an extremely serious threat to all non-Muslims and to peaceful Muslims alike; 2. it has been happening, in greater or lesser dimensions, since the Middle Ages; 3. it has become much more serious recently as Muslims have emigrated to Western countries and have gotten their hands on highly destructive weapons; and 4. it is endorsed by the Muslim religion, but not supported by the great majority of Muslim peoples.

The distortions that I see are twofold, and they are exact opposites: one group thinks that, since the Muslim religion calls for violent jihad against non-believers, all Muslims must be considered part of this jihad, and non-Muslims must oppose them on every front; the other group says that terrorism by Muslims is merely a nuisance, and, anyway, should be considered justified by the past oppressions against them.

I want to focus here only on the mistaken belief that terrorism by Muslims is merely a nuisance. There is a website called, “The Religion of Peace”, that is maintaining a huge tabulation of every Muslim atrocity that has taken place around the world since 9/11. It is incredibly instructive and shocking. This website provides code for a banner that updates itself whenever another such incident happens – and this banner also leads you to their website and their tabulation if you click on it. Their count does not include terrorist acts, like the Cole, the Khobar Towers, the first World Trade Center bombing and 10’s of thousands of other such acts that took place before 9/11.

I consider this information to be so important that I have placed this banner on my website just under my profile. I invite you to click on it from time to time.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home